Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Response to video - The Bedtime Story


Originally, this video was conceived when I visited my sister a few months ago, and we spent the weekend watching 'Tangled,' 'Brother Bear,' 'How to Train Your Dragon,' and the first trailer for Pixar's upcoming movie 'Brave.' And watching all of those movies made me re-think the possibilities of children's stories. In their simplest form, children's movies deliver the message that all writers strive to achieve. They display that pain is endurable, love is obtainable, and good always triumphs over evil. And even if its not true, those are the values that I hope every child believes in.

Also, it should be noted that my sister and I are in our mid-twenties. Recently, I visited her for thanksgiving, and we watched 'The Muppets.' It's a great movie.

I think it's important to be open-minded. Even today, I hate it when my parents say that I'll understand things better when I'm older because it implies that they know everything about my life and values and experiences. And it's usually not children, but adults who need to be reminded of the simplest of rules: be kind to one another and treat others like you would want to be treated.

I don't think anyone would be interested in the technical aspects of the video, and I wouldn't be able to explain them. The video is made with Anime Studio Pro 6 with twenty four frames per second. I recently bought a new laptop, and now it only takes several hours to render a video instead of several days, which still feels like a long time.

If you can't tell, I'm not very nice to my laptops.

I tried to not make the animation sequences too complicated so they wouldn't distract viewers from the story. There are a lot of animation loops. Surprisingly, I didn't know how to make a loop on my first few videos so that saved time. To be completely honest, I've always wanted to animate a horse and a dragon. And in a lot of ways, I animated the horse and dragon before I knew how to work them into the story. I know it sounds silly, but I'm a boy and horses and dragons are cool.

If you haven't seen my previous blog posts, the story for this video took a few weeks, and it went through several variations (namely 'The Princess and the Stone'). At first I wrote a story that wouldn't be limited to time constraints and it took three pages just to write the beginning portion. Ultimately, I would have preferred to include more details from the original story, but in some ways, the story benefits from being trimmed down.

On a few occasions, I've watched some of my older videos and I'm blown away. And I don't mean that in a narcissistic way, but if anyone made those videos, I would still be impressed with them. Personally, I don't consider any of the previous videos to be 'my videos' because they wouldn't have been possible without the support of their viewers and they're not just my stories, but they're universal stories that their viewers have embraced as their own.

I'm sorry if the videos have changed over time and I honestly hope you've enjoyed the recent videos too, but I really can't thank you guys enough for the views and comments and ratings because your feedback has helped me through a few rough patches in my life.

And in some ways, I hope the videos have helped you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment