Sunday, March 21, 2010

‘A Winkle in Time’ by Madeleine L'Engle

I finished ‘A Winkle in Time’ by Madeleine L'Engle. I didn’t like it. I thought it was blatantly preachy and condescending toward children. I understand that I’m several years past the novel’s targeted audience, but children’s novels don’t have to market toward a single minded agenda. Like Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's ‘The Little Prince,’ children's fantasy books can be vivid and imaginative, hopeful and educational.

‘A Wrinkle in Time’ is a disservice toward its genre since it’s labeled a classic in terms of children’s science fiction and fantasy, and if kids assume this is the best novel literary minds have to offer them, they’ll stop reading altogether. They’ll turn on the television and watch some other mindless dribble that they’ll actually enjoy.

No really, I didn’t like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment